20. A Bible Verse for Depression

The following Bible verse was given to me the morning of August 21, 2006, as I was dragging along and feeling sorry for myself in a shopping mall in St. Cloud, Minnesota. “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity,

but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1: 7

Four years later, on July 11, 2010, I wrote these words. “And God has been faithful – through depression, a shoulder replacement, prostate cancer, and sleepless nights. My life has gone from hopelessness to hope, from anxiety to peace, from endless striving to rest in my Lord Jesus Christ.”

About Patrick Day

triumphoverdepression.org This blog is my ministry to support those who are depressed, in gratefulness for my having overcome major depression. Read "About Patrick Day" just to the right of "home" on the top of the blog site to find out more particulars about me. I retired from a career in higher education, where I served as Dean of Instruction, and promptly moved into a life of purposelessness and despair for five years, finally coming out on the other side. I am now an author, a business and life coach, a writer of this blog, and a volunteer for various organizations. What I write about in this blog is not hypothetical comments on depression. I have been there, felt the horrible pain, had my life disrupted, and experienced everything that I write about. I pray that I may be a blessing to you.
This entry was posted in Depression, Living a Spiritual Life, Making Changes in Your Life, Overcoming Depression and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 20. A Bible Verse for Depression

1. Hagirl says:

That is one of my favorite scriptures sometimes when I feel like I’m looseing my mind I
    find that verse comforts me.

• Patrick Day says:

Hagirl,

I’m glad I posted one of your favorite scripture verses. I’m interested as to what you mean by losing your mind; I expect I’ve been there but did not use that terminology. You can contact me at pday@pjdcoaching.com. Perhaps I can let you know what things I did when I was in that spot. My philosophy is “each one help one.”

Pat

• Hagirl says:

I sometimes have fear enter my heart about doing things that I don’t believe in doing for example the fear that I might lose controll over my behavior and kill someone or myself or hurt someone. I don’t like to think it could happen, however when I think of the verse it reminds me that I have not been given a spirit of fear but of love power and a sound mind. What I have attemped to discribe above was what I meant
        about loseing my mind.

• Patrick Day says:

Thanks for letting me know what losing your mind means. I had visions of committing suicide or letting myself get in situations where I would be killed. I remember once sitting in a car by a lake and wishing there were a gun on the seat beside me, and then for a short period of time I actually saw a gun on the seat beside me…and then it was gone. I remember looking into a mirror and not recognizing myself – many times. At times my mind was so fragile, I thought I would lose it and then I didn’t know what would happen. It was unreal. But slowly, by medication, psychotherapy, friends, and spiritual counselors, I started improving and am now living a life that still has depression attached to it, but it doesn’t control me anymore. I have come out on the other side. I pray that you will experience the same restoration, if you have not already done so. My book, Too Late in the Afternoon: One Man’s Triumph Over Depression, contains many of the ingredients that can pull a person away from the pit of depression. Thanks for being a blog reader.

2. Kris Cole says:

I love this! So very true. I wish more people could understand that this is not only a physical, but spiritual fight. Thank you for sharing that…

• Patrick Day says:

Kris,

Thanks for your comment. With only medical support and not the spiritual, the restoring process for depression is greatly hindered. Of course, we can’t forget the soul (mind, will, and emotions) and the great help that an effective counselor, psychologist, or psychotherapist can provide.

Pat

3. Bob Farquhar says:

Your testimony is an encouragement to me and thrilling. PTL.